Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Throw Out Your Bathroom Scale?

I must confess.  I've weighed myself nearly every single day for about 30 years!  Lately though, I haven't even bothered.


As a health coach, I am getting concerned over the almost morbid fascination with the scale. That little piece of machinery is the cause of a lot of discouragement.

What we need to realize is that our weight can fluctuate a great deal daily and weekly.  I think a more accurate picture of where we are is taking our measurements. Also, do not wear loose, baggy clothing!  If you live in loose clothing, you will not feel a gain or a loss!

  I keep a certain pair of jeans and about twice a year I put them on and make sure they still fit properly. I don't even wear them anymore, they are my sacred "make-sure-I-can-still-button-them" jeans!


A body-fat analysis is the way to go, go to a Doctor, a trainer, or a gym and ask for one. Just remember, different places have different machines,  your body fat percentage will vary so try and have the same machine do the percentage every few months.

Another good indicator of health is the "waist-to-hip" ratio. You can 'google' it for an on-line calculator. Or take your waist and hip measurements and divide the waist number by the hip number. For women you want an .7 or less and for men you want a .9 or less in both cases. You all know me, and according to mine, I need to lose a half-inch off my belly to be in the "healthy" range as my mine is .79


It is interesting that the older I get, I have gained weight in my waist. I have my measurements from years ago and they are the same except my waist is bigger! (gasp)!

Bottom line:  weigh yourself about once a week, take those measurements, do your waist-to-hip ratio and get a body-fat analysis!

Good health and happiness to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment